A series of postcard images from days gone by...

Supplied by Jane Patten & the South Loch Ness Heritage Group

Fort Augustus from Glendoe (circa 1910)

Fort Augustus from Glendoe 1910

Taken from the Glendoe Road (now the B862), this image looks down over the Abbey to Fort Augustus and the lock flight. Clearly visible is the railway bridge over the Oich (only the supporting pillars now remain) and on the hill to the left is the Station Hotel (now the Lovat Arms). On the north side of the river, the slopes are bare with houses all clearly visible. The photograph was taken from the approximate location of the present day layby on the B862.

Fort Augustus from the North End (circa 1960)

Fort Augustus from the North

Taken from the hill above the present day A82, just below the location of the old school, this image looks from the North across the bottom of Bunoich Brae. Railway dismantling has already taken place, although the embankment and one of the old bridges can still be seen. In the foreground can be seen the future locations of the Riggs and the main car park.

Fort Augustus Lock Flight (circa 1900)

Taken from the bridge over Number 5 Lock, this view down to the Abbey gives a very clear picture of the old operating equipment on the flight. The 8-man capstans, some of which are still in place (in an ornamental sense) used to open and close the gates and the enormous sluice wheels which were used to open the vertical sluice slots to raise and lower the chamber water level. It's even possible to make out the original swing bridge at the bottom of the flight. Only one of the original bridges is still in place on the canal.

Fort Augustus Top Reach (circa 1930)

Fort Augustus Top

A boat leaving the top lock of Fort Augustus flight. The railway swing bridge can be seen in the background, but by the time this photograph was taken the line to the pier was no longer being used.

Fort Augustus Lock Flight (circa 1930)

Fort Augustus Locks From Loch Ness

Looking up the Lock Flight from the reach, in the foreground the old swing bridge. It's quite noticeable that apart from the bridge, the canalside part of the village is beginning to look very much like the present day. Most of the buildings are now there and the gaps are in the right place.

Fort Augustus Lock Flight (circa 1930)

Fort Augustus Locks From The Former Abbey

An excellent view of the flight, taken from the balcony of the Abbey clock tower. We get a good view of the railway bridge, still in place.

Fort Augustus from the North West (circa 1950)

 Fort Augustus Railway Bridge

An unusual view of Fort Augustus from the ridge on the North West side of the village. The railway bridge is the most prominent feature in the foreground.

Fort Augustus Abbey(circa 1920)

 Fort Augustus & the former Abbey

A view of the Abbey from the footpath above the Oich. In the foreground is the steamer "Gondolier" leaving the reach.

Fort Augustus Golf Course (circa 1950)

Fort Augustus Golf Course

The Golf course looking from Market Hill toward Ben Tigh.

Steamer Gondolier (circa 1920)

The Gondolier leaving the bottom of the flight (circa 1910)

Fort Augustus Gondolier

Taken from the Glendoe Road (now the B862), this image looks down over the Abbey to Fort Augustus and the lock flight. Clearly visible is the railway bridge over the Oich (only the supporting pillars now remain) and on the hill to the left is the Station Hotel (now the Lovat Arms). On the north side of the river, the slopes are bare with houses all clearly visible. The photograph was taken from the approximate location of the present day layby on the B862.