On the end of Canal Island stands a group of houses now Inveroich House. The one next the loch is probably the oldest building in Fort-Augustus, and was Built for Mr Stewart the Barrack Master during the repairs to the fort, following the Jacobite Revolution in 1745.
The buildings next to the Barrack Masters House used to form the brewery of the Fort, and in another stood the oven wherein was baked the bread for the soldiers use.
Around 1750 a new pier was built on the site of the current Boathouse Restaurant for the galley which used to work steadily up and down the loch. Between the pier and the Barack Masters House, was the house of the Commandant of the Government galley.
Needless to say, this was in the days before the Caledonian Canal was built and there were no dividing waters between the Fort and the island.
The lot of the Commandant Mark Gwynn and his family was cast in singularly adverse times. After serving in the navy for seventy years he was finally drowned in a storm on Loch Ness, and almost in the same year his two sons, also serving in the navy, lost their lives by the sinking of their vessels, and the family was reduced to great difficulty.
Mrs Grant of Laggan, the well-known authoress, who had herself received a pension through the good offices of Sir Walter Scott, was instrumental in obtaining assistance from the Government for this deserving family.
Mrs Grant formerly MacVicar had moved to Fort Augustus in 1773 with her father Duncan MacVicar then the Barrack Master
A vessel was first launched on Loch Ness under the Commonwealth by Cromwell,s soldiers, and was known as the “Highland Galley." A most amusing account of this vessel may be read in Mackay,s “Urquhart and Glenmoriston."
This ship and its successors continued to work steadily up and down the loch until the opening of the canal. The guns of the last Fort galley now adorn the mansion of the
Laird of Grant at Invermoriston.