The lamp post is dedicated to the George V coronation in 1911. It is the last remnant of the original electric lighting which the south side of the village enjoyed courtesy of the monks hydro electric 1890 - 1951. However the north side did not have electricity as the Caledonian Canal Company would not let the dangerous electric cables cross over or under the canal.
Legend has it that when the monks played their electric organ, the lights in the village went dim.
Fort Augustus abbey was the home of the first ever public hydro-electric supply in Scotland.
The power house and aqueduct still exists outside of the village.