The original fort was built as a defense against the inroads of the hostile clans, and stood just at the back of what is now the Lovat Hotel.
After the battle of Killiecrankie in 1715 the English Government took possession and garrisoned this fort in the hope of reducing the turbulent Highlanders to order.
Ten years later when General Wade was building his network of roads across the country, a fort on a much larger scale was begun on the shores of Loch Ness.
It was originally intended to connect the two forts by a covered way and to use the old one at the summit of the brae as a governor,s house, but this plan was abandoned, and now the ruins of this stronghold form part of the garden wall at the back of the Lovat Hotel.
Some years ago an ancient underground passage was accidentally discovered in this garden, but its nature and extent still remain to be explored.